• Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

Up to 40 people at risk living in an old pub


Landlord fined up to £15000

Not only did the landlord NOT turn up at court, he subjected his tenants to live in a property that was unsafe.

According to reports at the time, dangers found included electrical defects, overloaded sockets, missing smoke and heat detectors and poor heating.

Fire escapes were inadequate and extinguishers were out of date.

The landlord was convicted of not having a house in multiple occupation (HMO) licence, and fined £2,000 after being found guilty in his absence.

He was found guilty of 11 breaches of the regulations, racking up a £1,000 fine per offence.

Magistrates said regardless of any improvements made since the initial inspection, the conditions found by Environmental Health Officers were “appalling”.

Flintshire council’s Cabinet Member for Planning and Public Protection, Councillor Chris Bithell, said: “This is another positive result – a successful prosecution of a landlord in the private rented sector who has not complied with the required legal standards.

"It reflects Flintshire council’s commitment to ensuring homes in the private rented sector are in good repair and have all the necessary amenities.”

About 40 people were taken to Deeside Leisure Centre after authorities evacuated the property in December.

The Flintshire Council-led operation started at about 5.30am and included North Wales Police, the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, the British Red Cross and government departments.

The authority said the decision had not been taken lightly, but that the responsibility for complying with condition lay with the landlord

 

 


  • Date posted:
    02/08/2018
  • Share:

View all articles


  • Grenfell: What are we learning?

    Dame Judith Hackitt has been tasked with investigating the tragic events of Grenfell.

  • read more

    latest news

We have used HASAW for 10 years now and always found them to be totally reliable in producing Fire Risk Assessments and completing PAT Testing our Retail sites around the country; sometimes at short notice. Their approachable manner and communication really helps us to ensure we comply with current legislation

Kevin Doe
Tobar Group Ltd

Each time that we have used HASAW for our Fire Risk Assessments, we have been very pleased with the prompt and precise service received.

Richard Gibbs
The Letting Company, Corby, Northamptohshire

Mark was a fantastic contributor and expert consultant for a programme ACC recently produced on Fire Safety for Care Homes. Mark was a great pleasure to work with, always extremely supportive, forthcoming and responsive to all of our queries, demonstrating great expertise. He was able to adapt quickly to the challenges of filming, taking on the additional role of presenter with great patience, skill and professionalism. We look forward to the opportunity of working on further programmes together in the future.

Kate Larpent
ACC
  • Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

© 2019 Help and Safety at Work | Fire safety, fire risk assessments, fire training

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

we don't bite!
08000 838114 / 01832 735874