• Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

Up to 40 people at risk living in an old pub


Landlord fined up to £15000

Not only did the landlord NOT turn up at court, he subjected his tenants to live in a property that was unsafe.

According to reports at the time, dangers found included electrical defects, overloaded sockets, missing smoke and heat detectors and poor heating.

Fire escapes were inadequate and extinguishers were out of date.

The landlord was convicted of not having a house in multiple occupation (HMO) licence, and fined £2,000 after being found guilty in his absence.

He was found guilty of 11 breaches of the regulations, racking up a £1,000 fine per offence.

Magistrates said regardless of any improvements made since the initial inspection, the conditions found by Environmental Health Officers were “appalling”.

Flintshire council’s Cabinet Member for Planning and Public Protection, Councillor Chris Bithell, said: “This is another positive result – a successful prosecution of a landlord in the private rented sector who has not complied with the required legal standards.

"It reflects Flintshire council’s commitment to ensuring homes in the private rented sector are in good repair and have all the necessary amenities.”

About 40 people were taken to Deeside Leisure Centre after authorities evacuated the property in December.

The Flintshire Council-led operation started at about 5.30am and included North Wales Police, the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, the British Red Cross and government departments.

The authority said the decision had not been taken lightly, but that the responsibility for complying with condition lay with the landlord

 

 


  • Date posted:
    02/08/2018
  • Share:

View all articles



We have instructed HASAW to complete Fire Risk Assessments and Asbestos Surveys at our Residential properties in the Midlands and I have been very happy with their friendly and professional manner. I do not hesitate to recommend them

Linda Woolsey
Moreton Road Properties Ltd

I would like to thank Mark for completing the Fire Risk Assessments at short notice at our shop and premises above.
It was so important for us to get it done quickly and you really pulled out all the stops . Thank you

Diana Martin
Robin Martin Antiques, Notting Hill, London

The whole town turns out for our event and we spend a huge amount of time making it fun for all. We are always grateful to Mark for double checking our procedures helping us to make it safe for everyone.

Lyndsey Burch
Thrapston Charter Fair Committee
  • Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

© 2018 Help and Safety at Work | Fire safety, fire risk assessments, fire training

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

we don't bite!
08000 838114 / 01832 735874