• Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

Another Care Home putting residents lives in danger


... in such a bad state of repair that a locksmith working on an exit door put his foot through the stairwell and almost fell three storeys through the collapsing landing
St Andrew's Lodge was in such a bad state of repair that a locksmith working on an exit door put his foot through the stairwell and almost fell three storeys through the collapsing landing, magistrates heard.

John Davis, 68, the owner and responsible person for the premises on St Andrew's Road pleaded guilty to four charges of breaching the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (The Fire Safety Order) at Torquay Magistrates' Court last Tuesday.

He was fined a total £19,500 and ordered to pay full costs to the fire authority of £5,497.

Magistrates said the offences were 'very, very serious offences'.
Davis, of Mead Road, Torquay, was responsible for the care of some of the most vulnerable members of society, they said.

The failures occurred over a long period of time and the potential for loss of life at the premises was a very real risk.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service officers attended the premises on July 22, 2014, after receiving a complaint from a locksmith that had been working at the premises.

"The locksmith had been working on an exit door that opened onto the external fire escape staircase.

"When he put his foot out onto the staircase, the landing section collapsed and fell away.

"The locksmith only stopped himself falling three floors by grabbing inside the door frame. DSFRS officer had no choice but to serve a Prohibition Notice on the premises restricting certain areas from use due to the dangerous conditions found at the premises."

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Residents-risk-safety-failures-care-home/story-27542349-detail/story.html#ixzz3iapxZszs

  • Date posted:
    12/08/2015
  • Share:

View all articles


  • Grenfell: What are we learning?

    Dame Judith Hackitt has been tasked with investigating the tragic events of Grenfell.

  • read more

    latest news

We would like to thank HASAW for the Fire Risk Assessment and Fire Training that was carried our back in February 2018

Richard Smith
The Furniture Centre, Kettering, Northamptonshire

Excellent, my thanks to Mark and Karen for organising the Fire Risk Assessment for our Residential property in Northamptonshire and all done so quickly and efficiently.

Geoff Wood
C & G Wood, Northampton

We have used HASAW for 10 years now and always found them to be totally reliable in producing Fire Risk Assessments and completing PAT Testing our Retail sites around the country; sometimes at short notice. Their approachable manner and communication really helps us to ensure we comply with current legislation

Kevin Doe
Tobar Group Ltd
  • Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

© 2019 Help and Safety at Work | Fire safety, fire risk assessments, fire training

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

we don't bite!
08000 838114 / 01832 735874