• Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

Student Tenants exposed to fire risks according to research


Landlords are putting students living in rented accommodation in danger according to charity Electrical Safety First.
Landlords are putting students living in rented accommodation in danger according to charity Electrical Safety First.

Landlords are ignoring the concerns raised by students leaving them potentially susceptible to electrical fires and shocks.

According to research:

  • 37% of landlords and letting agents failed to fix exposed wiring when reported.
  • 35% never rectified damp, condensation or flooding around the electrics.
  • 30% left issues with scorching around sockets and light fittings unresolved.
Emma Apter, Head of Communications at Electrical Safety First, said: “These figures are unacceptable. Students should not have to compromise on safety, but these worrying figures suggest that poor landlord practice is putting lives at risk.”

Original Source

Electrical Safety First

  • Date posted:
    12/08/2015
  • Share:

View all articles


  • Grenfell: What are we learning?

    Dame Judith Hackitt has been tasked with investigating the tragic events of Grenfell.

  • read more

    latest news

HASAW complete Fire Risk Assessments for our new locations (often at short notice) and existing sites.

This ensures our operation is safe - particularly amongst shopping centres. 

Katie Kreeger
Chopstix Group Ltd, London

Mark was a fantastic contributor and expert consultant for a programme ACC recently produced on Fire Safety for Care Homes. Mark was a great pleasure to work with, always extremely supportive, forthcoming and responsive to all of our queries, demonstrating great expertise. He was able to adapt quickly to the challenges of filming, taking on the additional role of presenter with great patience, skill and professionalism. We look forward to the opportunity of working on further programmes together in the future.

Kate Larpent
ACC

With our Youth Club, it is of vital importance that our staff are able to carry out an effective evacuation. Our recent training helps us to do this

Daniel Campbell
The Bradfield Club, Peckham, South East London
  • Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

© 2019 Help and Safety at Work | Fire safety, fire risk assessments, fire training

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

we don't bite!
08000 838114 / 01832 735874