• Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

Takeaway boss jailed over death trap flat


‘Sheer luck’ there were no fatalities
A takeaway owner from Bristol has been handed a jail sentence after breaching fire safety rules by allowing people to sleep above his takeaway restaurant.

Six bedrooms for staff were found above the premises after an inspection from Avon Fire and Rescue Service in 2012. It was found there were no fire escape routes, fire alarms, smoke detectors, emergency lighting or fire doors.

A prohibition notice served to the owner, Mr Misbah Uddin Chowdhury, was ignored after a follow up inspection showed that two bedrooms were still in use and not compliant.

Mr Chowdhury was charged with seven offences, and sentenced to three months for each, to be served concurrently.

In court, Judge Julian Lambert remarked: “It was sheer luck that no one died.”

Steve Quinton, station manager from Avon Fire & Rescue Service’s technical fire safety team said: “We believe the sentence sends a strong message to restaurant and takeaway owners.

“Part of the role of the fire and rescue service is to enforce fire safety regulations which ensure public places are safe for customers and staff.

“Sleeping accommodation above a commercial kitchen represents a significant risk to life unless adequate fire protection and alarms are in place.”

Original Source

North Somerset Times

  • Date posted:
    14/07/2015
  • Share:

View all articles


  • Grenfell: What are we learning?

    Dame Judith Hackitt has been tasked with investigating the tragic events of Grenfell.

  • read more

    latest news

We have used HASAW for 10 years now and always found them to be totally reliable in producing Fire Risk Assessments and completing PAT Testing our Retail sites around the country; sometimes at short notice. Their approachable manner and communication really helps us to ensure we comply with current legislation

Kevin Doe
Tobar Group Ltd

I would like to thank Mark for completing the Fire Risk Assessments at short notice at our shop and premises above.
It was so important for us to get it done quickly and you really pulled out all the stops . Thank you

Diana Martin
Robin Martin Antiques, Notting Hill, London

Mark was a fantastic contributor and expert consultant for a programme ACC recently produced on Fire Safety for Care Homes. Mark was a great pleasure to work with, always extremely supportive, forthcoming and responsive to all of our queries, demonstrating great expertise. He was able to adapt quickly to the challenges of filming, taking on the additional role of presenter with great patience, skill and professionalism. We look forward to the opportunity of working on further programmes together in the future.

Kate Larpent
ACC
  • Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

© 2019 Help and Safety at Work | Fire safety, fire risk assessments, fire training

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

we don't bite!
08000 838114 / 01832 735874