• Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

Company failed to attain HMO licence


A letting agent in Erdington, Birmingham, has been slapped with an 8000 fine after the company was found to have not maintained fire escapes and safety equipment at a number of properties.
A letting agent in Erdington, Birmingham, has been slapped with an £8000 fine after the company was found to have not maintained fire escapes and safety equipment at a number of properties.

Ultrabarn PLC was also found to have not applied for the appropriate HMO licence for three properties under its ownership.

An inspection at one of properties revealed holes in the ceiling around service pipes, there was a lack of firefighting equipment, and fire alarms weren’t in sufficient working order.

The company was fined £1,500 for each of the three offences, plus £500 each for seven breaches of HMO management regulations.

Councillor John Cotton, cabinet member for neighbourhood management and homes, said: “Ultrabarn is an experienced and well-known letting company in this part of Birmingham and really should be setting an example; instead they fell well below standards we expect of the private rented sector. “I want to assure tenants across the city that we will prosecute landlords who break the law. I would also urge landlords who are unsure about licensing standards to contact the council immediately."

Original sources

Royal Sutton Coldfield Observer

Tyburn Mail

FIA

  • Date posted:
    18/06/2015
  • Share:

View all articles


  • Grenfell: What are we learning?

    Dame Judith Hackitt has been tasked with investigating the tragic events of Grenfell.

  • read more

    latest news

Excellent, my thanks to Mark and Karen for organising the Fire Risk Assessment for our Residential property in Northamptonshire and all done so quickly and efficiently.

Geoff Wood
C & G Wood, Northampton

Having recently joined the club I found Mark particularly helpful in organising a list of safety checks that were needed for the club to ensure compliance

Tim Knight
Porters Park Golf Club, Radlett, Hertfordshire

We would like to thank HASAW for the Fire Risk Assessment and Fire Training that was carried our back in February 2018

Richard Smith
The Furniture Centre, Kettering, Northamptonshire
  • Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

© 2020 Help and Safety at Work | Fire safety, fire risk assessments, fire training

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

we don't bite!
08000 838114 / 01832 735874