• Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

HMO found to have no fire alarm


A landlord has been handed an £11,000 fine and ordered to pay over £1000 in costs after being found to have put tenantsí lives at risk.
A landlord has been handed an £11,000 fine and ordered to pay over £1000 in costs after being found to have put tenants’ lives at risk.

Mr Javeed Hossain was found guilty at Uxbridge Magistrates Court of having failed to obtain an appropriate house of multiple occupation licence.

Initially, Mr Hossain was required to obtain an HMO licence limiting the number of residents in the property in Harlington, London, to six.

A later visit by council officers, however, found that not only had Mr Hossain breached the HMO licence by permitting 10 tenants to occupy the property, but there were a number of fire safety breaches at the property.

The property had no working fire alarm fitted, inadequate fire doors, a lack of smoke and heat detectors and no emergency illuminated exit signs on the stairs. Cllr Keith Burrows, Cabinet Member for Planning, Transportation and Recycling at Hillingdon Council, said: "This unscrupulous landlord put his tenants' lives at risk by neglecting to ensure that an adequate fire safety system was in place, and the consequences could have been fatal if a fire had broken out. “He also put his greed before their welfare by cramming too many people into the house and pocketing the rent.

I am pleased that the courts have imposed such a heavy fine on Mr Hossain, reflecting the seriousness of his offences."

Original sources

Hillingdon and Uxbridge Times

24 dash

  • Date posted:
    10/06/2015
  • Share:

View all articles


  • Grenfell: What are we learning?

    Dame Judith Hackitt has been tasked with investigating the tragic events of Grenfell.

  • read more

    latest news

The assessor arrived on time and explained all he would be doing whilst on site completing the Fire Risk Assessment for the common areas of the twelve flats in Surrey.

Lennie D'cruz
Peet Court Residents Association, Thronton Heath, Surrey

Safety at our site in London is imperative and by using HASAW they have on many occasions, designed, produced and delivered the appropriate fire signage to help keep the site safe

Leona Varley
Covent Garden Market Authority, London

The whole town turns out for our event and we spend a huge amount of time making it fun for all. We are always grateful to Mark for double checking our procedures helping us to make it safe for everyone.

Lyndsey Burch
Thrapston Charter Fair Committee
  • Book an appointment

  • The best day and time for me is usually

© 2019 Help and Safety at Work | Fire safety, fire risk assessments, fire training

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

we don't bite!
08000 838114 / 01832 735874